1. Definition of tretinoin and retinol. Apparently, tretinoin and retinol is about the same thing, although there’s a minute difference to it. If you check in a credible dictionary, it explains that retinol is synonymous to vitamin A. Meanwhile, tretinoin is a derivative of vitamin A. Although with few dissimilarities, it proves that both substances are of the same source. Every time ‘tretinoin’ and ‘retinol’ are mentioned, it would often connote to anti-aging products. Unfortunately, tretinoin is desirably used as treatment to acne vulgaris. Meanwhile, retinol is a popular anti-aging ingredient.
2. Action of tretinoin and retinol. Tretinoin is the medication of choice for the treatment of mild to moderate acne. It is, undeniably, the best treatment to acne – ever. It may take time apparently, about 2 to 3 months for skin to be 100% cleared of acne. During the treatment, the skin may become inflamed, irritated, severely dry, and reddish. However, after months of prolonged used, the skin will become perfectly acne and blemish free. The action of tretinoin is quite simple, it enhances cellular turnover. Tretinoin irritates the skin to increase turnover of cells. This way, new layers of skin are produced. This drug is also helpful to reducing the signs of skin aging. On the other hand, retinol works by increasing collagen generation to increase the skin’s elasticity. The two may work in different ways but, nevertheless, excellently good.
3. Effects of tretinoin and retinol to the skin. For most, especially for those with sunburned skin, improvements can be seen in as little as 3 to 4 weeks. Brown spots and other pigmentations will begin to fade in about 6 to 8 weeks. Wrinkles, furthermore, will disappear in around 3 to 6 months.
5. Dosage of tretinoin. Tretinoin is more or less regulated in terms of dosage. Once-a-day application is enough. It is also recommended that the skin must be cleansed first prior application. Other dermatologists recommended using a foaming wash with salicylic acid. Some recommend cleansers with salicylic acid before tretinoin application.
6. User instructions. After washing or cleansing with salicylic acid, it is best to wait for 20 to 30 minutes before tretinoin application. It is best that tretinoin be applied in the evening, as your skin may be then sensitive when exposed to daylight during the day.
7. Verdict. Tretinoin and retinol are both synonymous to vitamin A and both are equally effective in improving skin condition.