Is Olive Oil Good for Your Hair: Top 10 Facts
1. Olive oil defined.Olive oil is monounsaturated oil extracted from olives. It makes a good appendage to salads, salad dressings, and in the manufacture of cosmetics and certain soaps. It has been known for its unique healing property and thick texture. The point of olive oil, in the skin, is that it is thick enough to keep moisture inside. Most often, moisture is lost through heat transfer, evaporation, or any form of moisture lost. However, olive oil locks it in with its thick and oily texture.
2. Acts as hair moisturizer.As the skin, hair can easily lose moisture through most of the activities people do every day. Activities such as going out in the sun, using a hair iron, frequent visits to salons, bathing in sea water, using the wrong kind of shampoo. To bring back moisture to hair, you need a good hair moisturizer – like olive oil.
3. Best for dry and frizzy hair.Frizzy hair is the direct result of hair dryness. Imagine prunes and grapes. You know there’s a big difference and the former is lacking moisture. Same goes for every hair strand, if it’s not moisturized enough, it becomes brittle, dry, and rough to handle. Olive oil is definitely needed to keep this kind of hair condition at bay. Moreover, you definitely need a bottle during the summertime and winter – times when hair is susceptible to dehydration.
4. Application instructions.The procedure is easy, simply apply the product onto hair and massage onto scalp.
5. Amount of olive oil enough for hair.There’s no definite indication on how much you should apply, that depends on how thick your hair is, or how long. However, for those with average length hair, a tablespoon of olive oil is enough.
6. Application tips.According to De Jong, apply the product onto hair, carefully massaging it on the scalp. Cover your hair with shower cap and leave for 30 minutes to an hour.
7. More olive oil tips.After removing the shower cap, fortify the regimen by rinsing your hair with a moisturizing shampoo.
8. Shampoos to watch out for.Never go for dehydrating shampoos. To know what shampoo to look out for, read the list of ingredients found at the back of your shampoo. Shampoo with high concentration of sodium lauryl is a definite no-no.
10. Conclusion.Olive oil is all natural and not that expensive compared to salon treatments.