Does Tea Tree Oil Help Acne: Top 10 Facts
1. Tea tree oil originally came from the leaves of tea tree and has been rampantly used as a medicinal treatment to wounds, infections, athletes’ foot, and fungus. It is best known for its antiseptic properties as well as healing properties to skin.
2. Apart from wounds and common skin problems, tea tree oil has also been used to eradicate head lice, oral candidiasis, sores, cold sores, dandruff, and even skin lesions. Tea tree oil is an effective topical medication that can treat almost anything – because of its effective antiseptic properties.
3. According to a NCCAM funded review, it has been said that tea tree oil has the ability to kill bacteria and that tea tree oil can be used as adjunct treatment to wounds, as well as hard-to-treat methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection.
4. There are also studies that confirm the effectiveness of tea tree oil in treating nail fungus, acne, and dandruff.
5. When it comes to acne, tea tree oil is a pro. In a recent clinical trial using 5 percent tea tree oil gel compared to 5 percent benzoyl peroxide, it has been noted that benzoyl peroxide is more effective in treating acne but tea tree oil had few side effects.
6. Tea tree oil is also known to cure common colds and work as an aroma-therapeutic substance and vaporizer to ease out chest congestion and nose congestion.
7. Moreover, there are a variety of tea tree products. The most common product is tea tree toner which has a suitable percentage of tea tree oil and can be applied liberally to face. There are also natural ways to make tea tree oil treatment for face.
8. To cure acne, or to simply use as a cleansing agent, simply combine two teaspoons of tea tree oil in two cups of warm water. Mix gently and apply to desired area. There are also ready-made tea tree products which you can use to eliminate acne.
9. You can also dab a small amount of tea tree oil directly to acne. Remember, prolonged use is needed to procure desired effects. Tea tree oil is packed with nutrients and minerals as well as antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties to keep opportunistic bacteria at bay. It also has healing properties to help the skin heal itself through cellular turnover.
10. Tea tree oil is one of the purest cleansing products with the least side effects compared to any other anti-acne product there is. Although it may take time for tea tree oil to work its magic but the said product can be used by those with sensitive skin.